Golden Milk Lattes. You see them everywhere now. Food trend for 2017? Definitely. And for good reason; Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, potent antioxidant, boosts immunity and brain function, as well as aids in digestive function and fights disease, including cancer. Whoa. That’s a lot of stuff for a little orange herb! We should all be sipping Golden Milk Lattes!
But, you guys, I have a problem, I’ve never been a huge fan of lattes. They’re just too rich (something I RARELY say, considering basically all my teeth are of the sweet tooth variety. My dentist can confirm that). I’d rather have coffee with unsweetened almond milk. BUT what if I still want some of that turmeric goodness to go along with my coffee? Enter the Turmeric Oatmeal Cookie.
This chewy, golden, cookie is the perfect treat to go along side your afternoon coffee (or breakfast! I’m a huge fan of cookies for breakfast). Plus, its a treat with some nice healthy perks. Thanks Turmeric!
And because I know my inclination to finish off a batch of cookies like they are the last cookies on the planet, I opted to make this recipe a small batch. I took my family’s vanishing oatmeal cookie recipe (that makes an insane amount of cookies, which magically vanish…), shrunk it down to make 8-10 cookies and swapped out some ingredients to make it a wee bit healthier. Oh and added Turmeric, obviously.
I had a few renditions of the recipe before I landed on the final product. At first they were too flat and lacked that full bodied flavor I was going after. Jesse was a trooper and tested cookie after cookie for me (he even took some into his office – thanks guys!). And then, oh baby, we had the winner.
Much to my dislike of having to chill dough, this recipe does call for chilling the dough for a short 10 minutes. I know, chilling dough is the worst, especially when you just want a cookie now. But we can make it through 10 minutes together. If you need something to do, I recommend searching YouTube for “10 minutes of cute dogs”. You won’t be disappointed.So here it is. My turmeric golden ticket of cookie recipes. I hope you enjoy a cookie with a cup of coffee, and my apologies in advance if you turn everything in your kitchen orange while making these.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (room temperature in solid form)
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (blended for a few seconds, see instructions)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- optional: 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (these aren’t really optional in my opinion, but you are more than welcome to leave them out or sub in…dare I say it…raisins.)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
How to make them:
- Combine sugars, oil, almond milk, vanilla and egg together. Whisk until you have a smooth consistency.
- Whisk in cinnamon and turmeric.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the oats for just a few seconds, just until they are slightly broken up into smaller oat pieces. You don’t want to make oat flour here, just slightly smaller rolled oats.
- Fold in flour, oats, baking soda and baking powder. Optional: fold in chocolate chips.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- Roll into 1 inch dough balls, place on baking sheet. I use a silicon baking mat on top of my cookie sheet. Should yield 8-10 cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, and then enjoy 🙂
A few notes:
- I baked these in a convection oven, so if you’re using a regular oven, the bake time may very slightly. Just keep an eye on those cookies!
- I did not try this recipe with quick oats, so I can’t guarantee those are a easy substitute for the rolled oats.
- The coconut oil cannot be in liquid form. If it is, the cookies will spread much too flat. If you live in a sauna and your coconut oil is always liquid, you’ll need to chill the dough longer than 10 minutes. About 30 minutes should suffice.
Thanks for baking with me, I hope you enjoy these!
If you haven’t yet, make sure to subscribe for email updates from Mr.Teeps and I! You’ll find the sign up in the sidebar.
Linking up with Spoons!2